Senior Cell Design Engineer for dynamic business involved in the development of next generation of battery technologies.
Are you looking for a new challenge in the development of the next generation of Lithium metal batteries
Our client is a global leader in the development of high energy rechargable battery systems for the global transportation, consumer electronics and energy storage industries.
They now seek to recruit an adept Senior Cell Design Engineer, based in Arizona, this position will be developing next-generation cells for high-energy and high power applications as a key member of R&D.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Development of new lithium anode battery designs including the cell chemistry and mechanical design, defining the cell bill of materials (BOM) as well as all critical chemical and mechanical design parameters.
- Generation of material, subassembly, and assembly level specifications for all cell components (cathode, anode, electrolyte, and separator), often working with materials vendors and/or other internal stakeholders to align on material and component characteristics.
- Interface closely with peers in Fundamental R&D to evaluate new materials, modeling to define requirements, and Validation to test new designs.
- Developing and maintaining a product DFMEA and support the development of PFMEA and manufacturing control plans, working with manufacturing teams to transfer processes and designs.
- Support root cause investigations and failure mode analysis and drive design and process changes to improve cell technology.
- Lead analytical and test method development, design experiments, and analyze data.
Education and Experience
- MS in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, or related field of study. PhD preferred.
- Minimum 4+ years of experience in the battery industry
- 3+ years in a product development role
- 3+ years in a management role
- Demonstrated record of launching products successfully.
- Experience with concept, design, and product validation (CV, DV, and PV) as part of a product development environment
- Understanding of Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA)
- Experience maintaining effective technical relationships with suppliers and internal departments
- Demonstrated record of technical innovation, including publications, presentations, and/or patents
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Leadership in product development, an understanding of the battery industry, as well as the research community.
- Experience with formal root cause analysis (Ishikawa, Six Sigma) and design of experiments (DOE) tools
- Experience with Design for Manufacturing (DFM)Document cell designs and maintain design concept iterations in Agile Documentation System
- Good tolerance stack up calculation ability
This is a fantastic opportunity to play an integral part in helping to shape the future of global transportation and energy storage.